Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fugazzi Grand (220-201)

220. "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" (Elvis Costello, 1979)
Bill Murray's rendition in "Lost in Translation" is pretty good, too.

219. "Selling the Drama" (Live, Throwing Copper, 1994)
Still love this album as much as I did when it first came out.

218. "Satellite" (Dave Matthews Band, Under the Table and Dreaming, 1994)
For me personally, the first three DMB records were great, and I haven't really liked much since. I've been finding myself deleting some newer stuff as of late, but the first three records are great.

217. "I'm Tore Down" (Eric Clapton, From the Cradle, 1994)
Hey, how 'bout that? Three songs in a row from 1994. This album is unique in that it wasn't recorded in a studio, but rather on stage, with the exception of "Motherless Child". Great album...

216. "Fell in Love with A Girl" (The White Stripes, White Blood Cells, 2001)
So did I. Her name? Meg White!

215. "Steppin' Out With My Baby" (Tony Bennett, Steppin' Out, 1993)
This was the song that introduced Tony Bennett to the MTV generation.

214. "Lonesome Day" (Bruce Springsteen, The Rising, 2002)
A triumphant return for the E Street Band.

213. "Smoke" (Ben Folds Five, Whatever and Ever Amen, 1997)
This album has 7 or 8 entries on this list, a solid listen from top to bottom.

212. "Blessed" (Elton John, Made in England, 1995)
Used to sing this to Heather's belly when she was pregnant with Gracie.

211. "Two-Headed Boy" (Neutral Milk Hotel, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, 1998)
"CATCHING SIGNALS THAT SOUND IN THE DARK !!!! CATCHING SIGNALS THAT SOUND IN THE DARK ......"

210. "Purple Haze" (Jimi Hendrix, Are You Experienced?, 1967)
This is probably the artist that I regret the most not having more entries for.

209. "Hard to Handle" (The Black Crowes, Shake Your Money Maker, 1990)
Tom Jones does an awesome version of this song. Would love to find it.

208. "Tears in Heaven" (Eric Clapton, Rush, 1992)
Maybe the saddest song on the list.

207. "Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" (Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, 1973)
The longest song on the list. It's about time I bought the remastered version, my copy is old and crappy.

206. "The Times They Are A-Changin'" (Bob Dylan)
Billy Joel actually released a cover version of this in 1987 from his tour of Russia. I think he messed up the words a few times.

205. "London Calling" (The Clash, London Calling, 1979)
Such a great album, most definitely a vinyl purchase of the future.

204. "Stayin' Alive" (Bee Gees, 1977)
Yes, disco sucked, but like all genres of music, some songs stand out as great.

203. "Art School Girl" (Stone Temple Pilots, Tiny Music..., 1996)
"I told you five or four times, I told you five or four times, I told you five or times, I told you five or four times, I told you five or four times, I told you five or four times, I told you five or four times, I told you five or four times"

202. "All Along the Watchtower" (Jimi Hendrix, Electric Ladyland, 1968)
A Bob Dylan song that has been covered by a million recording artists, obviously, I'm going with the best version out there. No reason to get excited....

201. "Luck Be a Lady" (Frank Sinatra)
"stick with me baby, I'm the fella you came in with...."

1 comment:

  1. lost in translation!! i love that movie.

    (and hendrix. oh lord)

    ReplyDelete